Nifedipine is a medication commonly prescribed as a tablet used to treat certain cardiovascular conditions, most notably hypertension (high blood pressure) and angina (chest pain). It belongs to the class of medications known as calcium channel blockers.
Here's some important information about Nifedipine tablets:
How it works:
Nifedipine works by blocking calcium channels in the smooth muscles of blood vessels and the heart. By doing so, it relaxes and widens the blood vessels, reducing the resistance in the arteries and allowing blood to flow more easily. As a result, it helps to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the heart muscle, relieving angina symptoms.
- Hypertension: Nifedipine is often prescribed to manage high blood pressure.
- Angina: It is used to treat stable angina (chest pain) and can help prevent angina attacks by improving blood flow to the heart.
The dosage of Nifedipine can vary depending on the individual and the condition being treated. It's essential to follow the doctor's instructions regarding the specific dose and frequency of administration.
Nifedipine is generally taken orally in the form of tablets. The tablets come in different strengths, and the dosing regimen may be once or twice a day. The medication can be taken with or without food, but it's crucial to be consistent and take it as prescribed.
- It is essential to inform your doctor about any other medications or supplements you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
- Grapefruit and grapefruit juice can interact with Nifedipine and lead to increased side effects. Avoid consuming grapefruit products while on this medication.
- Nifedipine may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, so be cautious while performing tasks that require alertness, such as driving or operating machinery.
Common side effects of Nifedipine may include dizziness, headache, flushing, swelling of ankles/feet, and constipation. If you experience severe side effects like irregular heartbeat, fainting, or difficulty breathing, seek medical attention immediately.